Saturday, February 22nd is National Margarita Day. Even though it’s been a cold and snowy winter, the margarita is a perfect escape cocktail for those wishing they were in a warmer climate. Combining Tequila, lime, nectar and ice, a simple margarita can be satisfying even on the most wintry of days. While a lot of margarita recipes out there call for the addition of triple sec or a secondary alcohol (which increases the alcohol as well as the calories in the days when many are dieting), the best idea is to keep it simple. Mastering a perfect margarita comes with time and practice. Here are some tips to make authentic, crowd-pleasing margaritas for National Margarita Day:
- Use a 100% Blue Agave Tequila. Make sure that you are not using a Mixto Tequila, as Mixto Tequilas can be blended with sugar and can be produced outside of Mexico
- Use any type of marque of Tequila you’d like – Blanco, Reposado or Añejo will do! Just make sure it’s balanced and delicious
- Squeeze your lime juice. Yes it takes time and your arm may hurt, but it’s a small price to pay for having the freshest margarita possible
- Agave nectar is a must. By using agave nectar, you are offering a low-sugar option (better for those diabetic friends) and utilizing a raw material of the Tequila spirit
- Ice is your best friend. Use ice when shaking and fresh ice for the glass. Margaritas should be served cold cold cold. If you want a warm drink, you should have made yourself a hot toddy on January 11
- Hold the salt! Don’t mask the flavors in the drink. Make it right and balanced, and no salt will be needed
- Enjoy with friends! Make sure that the people who are imbibing with you enjoy your hard work. After all, it isn’t easy to make the perfect margarita but it sure is fun trying!
Happy National Margarita Day! Salud!
Photo courtesy of Partida Tequila
Posted in: Public Relations , Spirits